Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Our seeds...

On our way back from a visit to Richmond, we stopped to get some seeds from Home Depot. There were so many yummy veggies to choose from. Here is what we picked up to start with:

  • Chives
  • Basil
  • Cilantro
  • Brandywine Tomatoes
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Cucumbers
  • Butterhead Lettuce
  • Mesclun Mix
With the help of a few friends and my dog, Logan, we got all the seeds planted and back to my apartment to wait out the rest of the cold weather. Since we planted, all but the cilantro have popped out.


It is thrilling to work next to the plants and watch each day as they grow more and more. Who would have thought that you could put these little specks (seeds) into the dirt and they come out as food?! This evening, we are going to be selecting the most fit of our seedlings and planning their journey to the containers outside.

Here is Logan:

4 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful little flags!
    Go garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot! Can I just have it on the public record that I was there for the initial insemination of the soil? JKru and I claim responsibility for the glorious flags proclaiming seed identity. Grow, babies, grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blog is already impressive. Kermit the Frog never imagined that green would become so beautiful (and cool). He was definitely ahead of his time. I confess that I have killed several plants this year and I am beginning to feel guilty. You may inspire me to become more thoughtful about the plants I choose and to learn more about them. It is wonderful to have friends who share your interest, enthusiasm and also the work.

    ReplyDelete