Monday, June 15, 2009

Cheese and Pizza: Made at Home

Homemade pizzas with fresh, homemade mozzarella!

Almost two years ago, I finished reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle with a deep interest in gardening and homemade food. In the book, Barbara describes her adventure with homemade cheese and the cheese queen. After numerous discussions with friends about buying a cheese making kit from the cheese queen's website went nowhere because of scheduling conflicts, I put the idea aside for awhile. But, two weeks ago, Katherine's mother purchased the Mozzarella making kit and invited me over to try it out!

My mother was in town for the weekend and we headed over to Katherine's family's house to try out the kit and see if we could get some Mozzarella to make our own pizzas for lunch.

We followed the cheese queen's recipe, found here.
It was amazing to see the milk turn into cheese. Above you can see us draining the whey from the curd.

The cheese was a great success! We were able to use it to make pizzas as well!

I am so proud of this cheese making process, I'm posting to Cheeseslave's Real Food Wed.

1 comment:

  1. How impressive!! I am so going to have to try this. Great job!

    ReplyDelete