Sunday, November 15, 2009

Thanksgiving Planning

With less than two weeks before Thanksgiving, my mother and I are in prep mode. I ordered the turkey and now we are sharing recipes and discussing the menu. Appetizers and wine will come from the guests. Pies this year will come from a nearby farm market (pumpkin and multi-berry). Although I am tempted to make my own pumpkin pie again this year (it came out really well last year). My mother always has a great strategy to cook the turkey and stuffing (there always needs to be traditional items on the table).

Otherwise, the remainder of the meal is open for discussion. My ideas so far:

Soup: Butternut Squash Soup (with apple)
Salad: Asian Pear and Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese
Side 1: Sweet Potato Casserole (with pecans and marshmallows)
Side 2: Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnut Butter
Cranberry: Honey-and-Spice Cranberry Sauce

After a lot of reading and searching, I have the recipes picked out. I sent them over to my mom and sister for review. Most of the above are new to me with the exception of the sweet potato casserole. I have two potlucks coming up in the next week, and hope to have some friends over for dinner as well. I will attempt to do a trial run of most of these recipes before the big day. As I cook and finalize the recipes I will use, I will be sure to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment