Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Peanut Noodles

Warm peanut noodles! It is one of my favorite appetizers at a Chinese restaurant I go to with my family up in New Jersey. I've tried to make it at home before and it was terrible. My roommate made a great one and told me the secret: adding in hot water to get the sauce just right! I've finally made it myself based on Bittman's recipe.

Peanut Noodles (adapted from Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian)

What You Need
- 12 ounces long Asian noodles (I used pad Thai noodles) or fresh Chinese egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger, optional
- 1 tablespoon rice or wine vinegar
- Hot sesame oil or Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more
- 1/2 cup hot water
- At least 1/2 cup minced scallions for garnish

What You Do
1. Depending on the noodles you are using, follow the directions on the package. But, usually: soak for 30 minutes.
2. Drain noodles.
3. Add boiling water and let soak for 5 minutes.
4. While noodles are cooking, whisk together sesame oil and paste, sugar, soy, ginger, vinegar, hot oil and pepper in a large bowl.
5. Thin sauce with hot water, so that it is about the consistency of heavy cream; you will need 1/4 to 1/2 cup.
6. When noodles are done, drain.
7. Toss noodles and sauce (there are other things you can add here like chicken, tofu, or cucumbers- be creative).
8. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary (the dish may need salt), then garnish and serve.

This dish is good cold, warm, or even hot!

1 comment:

  1. My step-dad, a backyard gardener and one of the best cooks I know, has been all about Bittman lately. So if you are too, I am going to have to actually get the cookbook and give some of these more intimidating dishes a try. Did you use hot sesame oil or tobasco? I am not big on tobasco.

    ReplyDelete