Please, please try this. I am strongly considering changing my blog to cover risotto exclusively because of how much I love making it! I'm sad I didn't take any pictures of this meal. But, I guess that means I will have to make it again soon to share them with you. Also, this was our first meal of the season that we enjoyed in the backyard with a fire keeping us warm. Amazing.
Bacon and Leek Risotto (from Bon Appetit)
What You Need
- 6 large eggs
- 5 cups vegetable broth (recipe calls for chicken stock)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups thinly sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only; about 2 large--which is a bit more than 2 cups but don't worry, use it all)
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice or medium-grain white rice (about 10 ounces)
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley (from our containers here at home)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese (I used more, closer to 4)
- Fresh Italian parsley leaves (for garnish)
- Additional finely grated Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
What You Do
- Bring broth to simmer in medium saucepan; cover to keep warm.
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add bacon and cook until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Add leeks to drippings in pan; cook until soft but not brown, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer 2 generous tablespoonfuls leeks to small bowl; reserve for garnish.
- Add rice to pan; stir 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add wine; stir until absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup warm broth to saucepan; stir until broth is absorbed. Repeat adding broth and stirring until rice is tender but still firm to bite and sauce is creamy, stirring almost constantly, about 23 minutes total.
- Add bacon, chopped parsley, butter, and 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, poach eggs.
- Divide risotto among 6 bowls. Top risotto in each bowl with poached egg. Sprinkle egg with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley leaves, additional cheese, and reserved leeks.