As promised, the Ratatouille alternative (heavier on the tomato flavor) from the Silver Palate Cookbook:
What You Need:
- 2 cups best-quality olive oil
- 4 small eggplants, about 4 pounds in all, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 pounds white onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 7 medium-size zucchini, washed, trimmed, sliced
- 2 medium-size sweet red peppers, stemmed, seeded, chopped
- 2 medium-size green bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cans (16 ounces) tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Line a large roasting pan with foil and pour in 1 cup of the olive oil. Add the eggplant, sprinkle it with the salt, and toss well. Cover pan tightly with foil and bake for 35 minutes, until eggplant is done but not mushy. Uncover and set aside.
3. In a large skillet or in 2 smaller skillets, heat remaining oil. Saute onions, zucchini, red and green peppers and garlic over medium heat until wilted and lightly colored, about 20 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, dill, basil, oregano and black pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add eggplant mixture and simmer for another 10 minutes. Taste and correct seasonings.
6. Serve hot or at room temperature.