Also for the Super Bowl, I made twice baked potatoes. These are a favorite of mine from growing up. They are fun and easy to make, but delicious and very satisfying to eat.
Twice Baked Potatoes
What You Need
-4 large russet potatoes, about a pound each
-1/2 cup sour cream
-1/2 cup milk
-3 Tbsp butter, softened
-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (plus a bit more for topping)
-4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
-2 small heads broccoli, chopped
-1/2 onion, chopped
-4 strips bacon (optional)
What You Do
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Scrub the potatoes clean under running water.
3. Poke each potato in several places with the tines of a fork so that when the potatoes are cooking they don't explode.
4. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through. They should be soft when you poke a folk in them.
5. If you are including bacon in your stuffing, while the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon strips in a frying pan on medium low heat for 10 minutes, or until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Let cool and crumble.
6. Sauté the mushrooms, broccoli, and onion in a little butter until the broccoli is bright green. Use as much or as little as you like. This is where you get to play! Think of other items you want in your potato.
6. When the potatoes are done, allow them to cool to touch (10 minutes min.)
7. Cut potatoes in half, lengthwise.
8. Use a spoon to scoop out the insides. Be careful and make sure to leave the skin in tact.
9. Place the scooped out potato insides, sour cream, milk, and butter into a large bowl.
10. Mix the sautéd veggies and crumbled bacon in with the potatoes. Add in the cheese and mix some more. Reserve some of the cheese and bacon (if you are using it) to sprinkle on the tops of the potatoes.
11. Spoon fillings into the potato shells.
12. Sprinkle with extra toppings.
13. Heat oven to 350°F.
14. Place potatoes on a roasting pan and bake 15 to 20 minutes until heated through.
Next time play around with some of your favorite items to add into the potatoes. They are good no matter what you put in them!