Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Veggie Casserole

Here is a recipe I tried a couple weeks ago from my new vegetarian cookbook The New Moosewood Cookbook. Before I made it, I was nervous about the cottage cheese in the recipe. I don't really like cottage cheese, and have never used it in a recipe. But, it turned out wonderfully. I had a ton left over after dinner with my friend and it was great throughout the week for lunch. I meant to blog about it at the time, but I was quickly overwhelmed by work and the condition of my kitchen (see recent posts for details). So, now that I've been stuck inside for almost a week with the snow (snowMG, snowpocalypse, etc), I have some time to type it up for you.

Broccoli Mushroom Noodle Casserole (from Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook)

What You Need:
- 1 1 lb (or 12 oz) package wide flat egg noodles
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large bunch fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar

What You Do:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
3. Cook the noodles until half done and drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again and set aside.
4. Melt the butter in a large skillet and add onions and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
5. Add broccoli, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the broccoli is bright green and just tender.
6. Remove from heat and add white wine.
7. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs with cottage cheese and sour cream.
8. Add noodles, sauted vegetables, and 1 cup breadcrumbs.
9. Mix well!
10. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and top with remaining breadcrumbs and grated cheese.
11. Bake covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for 15 minutes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment