Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Stewed Okra and Tomatoes

Two of summer's favorites come together in this easy southern dish. I enjoyed it over rice. Here's hoping that my tomatoes and okra produce so I can make this again with my own veggies (or are they fruits?)!

Stewed Okra & Tomatoes (adapted from Eating Well)

What You Need
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 medium onion, chopped (I used a red onion)
-2 cloves garlic, minced (I used a bit more because I love garlic)
-1 pound okra, (about 5 cups), sliced
-3 cups chopped tomatoes, (3-4 medium)
-2/3 cup reduced-sodium tomato juice or water
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper or 1/2 minced jalapeno
-For you meat eaters out there: add 4 ounces breakfast sausage, preferably spicy or 4 slices bacon (optional)

What You Do
1. If you are going to use meat, cook it in a large saucepan first.
2. If no meat (like me), heat one tablespoon of olive oil and add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Increase heat to high; add okra, tomatoes, tomato juice (or water), salt and crushed red pepper (or jalapeno) and cook, stirring often, until bubbling.
4. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick and the vegetables are very tender, 35 to 45 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

My manager had a great idea about serving this over mac and cheese! I think that is something worth trying sometime soon. If you try it, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment