Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tomato Blossom Drop

My garden looks wonderful and everything is still growing (broccoli and carrots being the exception- but I knew they were an experiment). I am having some success with my herbs and my tomato plants are getting bigger and bigger each week. But, unfortunately, my tomato plants have not turned out any tomatoes. Instead, they get little flowers that just fall off.

It is very sad.

I googled the issue and learned about Blossom Drop. According to About.com:

Blossom drop is a common tomato growing problem that can be extremely frustrating to the home gardener. Otherwise healthy looking tomato plants set flower blossoms, only to have them dry up and fall off the plant before a fruit is formed.
Frustrating is right! It looks so promising but then the little blossoms just fall right off. I saw on the GardenWeb that this troublesome issue can be caused by weather.... HOT weather. We certainly have had a lot of hot weather and there seems to be no end in sight. I will just keep looking longingly and lovingly at my tomato blossoms and hope at least one stays on long enough to make me a tomato.

No comments:

Post a Comment