I almost forgot, one of the other favorites from Labor Day was my friend's strawberry punch called Erdbeerbowle (from Germany). Here is what she says on how to make it and according to her, it is simple!
Erdbeerbowle: German Strawberry Punch (per Miriam)
What You Need
- About 2 boxes of strawberries
- Brandy (optional)
- 1 bottle white wine
- 1 bottle of champagne
What You Do
1. Slice or halve the strawberries and place them in a container that is large enough so the berries are just one layer.
2. Sprinkle a thin layer of sugar over the berries. Less sugar if the berries are really sweet (my mom hardly uses any sugar at all!) and up to like a 1/4 cup if they are not so sweet. It's up to taste-- but don't fret about this! (NOTE: You can also add a shot or so of brandy at this step, if you like, recommendation would be cointreau.)
3. Put strawberries in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours
4. Add a bottle of white wine
5. Refrigerate for at least 2 more hours
6. Right before you serve, add a bottle of champagne
7. Some people garnish with mint leaves or lemon peels
With strawberries+sugar+wine+champagne, you really can't go wrong. If it comes out too sweet just add more champagne. My friend says that her grandparents make it with 1 bottle wine, 1 bottle champagne, and 1 bottle seltzer water for a more refreshing summer punch.
Last note, you can make this the night before you need it. Doesn't matter if the strawberries sit in the sugar all night, and they can also soak in the white wine for well over 2 hours, if need be. Just make sure to add the champagne immediately before serving.
Thanks Miriam! :)