I found some wonderful heirloom tomatoes at the farmer's market before Labor Day.
Charred Heirloom Tomatoes with Fresh Herbs (from Bon Appetit- do you see a pattern for my recipes from Labor Day?)
What You Need
- 4 large firm heirloom tomatoes (about 10 ounces each), cored, cut horizontally in half
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 5 tablespoons (about) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
What You Do
1. Arrange tomatoes, cut side up, on rimmed baking sheet.
2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then 1 1/2 tablespoons each oregano and thyme leaves.
3. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons oil.
4. Let stand at room temperature.
5. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
6. Place tomatoes, cut side up, on rack (they said to brush the rack with oil, but I didn't).
7. Cook until bottoms are charred, 3 to 4 minutes. (Be careful with these guys on the grill!)
8. Turn tomatoes over and grill just to sear, about 1 minute.
9. Turn cut side up onto platter.
10. Sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon each oregano and thyme, then drizzle with more oil, if desired.