Sunday, October 24, 2010

Another Soup: Squash Soup


So, I am supposed to be studying for midterms, but instead I'll post another recipe I made this weekend (actually, I made this when I needed a break from learning about heavy metals today!). I used hubbard squash, but any squash will do! Of course there are easier squash soup recipes out there, but this one had a wonderful flavor and wasn't too difficult (especially since I opted not to whip out the food processor).

Squash Soup (adapted from Emeril's Acorn Squash Soup on planetgreen.com)

What You Need
- 2-3 squash, halved, seed removed (recipe calls for acorn, I used hubbard)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled cored and chopped (recipe calls for Granny Smith, but I didn't use one)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger (I used a bit more than this, up to 1/2 teaspoon... be sure to taste test though)
- Pinch of cinnamon (recipe called for 1/8 teaspoon allspice, but I didn't have any)
- 4 cups vegetable broth

What You Do
1. Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
2. On a baking sheet, roast the acorn squash, cut side down, until soft, about 45 minutes.
3. Scoop out the squash flesh and set aside.
4. In a soup pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
5. Saute carrot, apple, and onion until soft.
6. Season with ginger and cinnamon (or allspice).
7. Add the squash and the stock.
8. Simmer for 20 minutes.
9. Remove the pot from the heat. Here the recipe says to "puree with a hand-held immersion blender" or put it in a blender or food processor and return to the pot. However, I just used a potato masher and got a great consistency-- still with small pieces of carrot and onion. Depends on your preference and desire to wash dishes (I don't have a dish washer so I avoid the food processor).
10. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment