Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year Aioli!

I am so excited. I emerged from a two week vacation today and I'm feeling great! I spent a lot of time since my semester ended celebrating, relaxing, watching movies, and sleeping. I also walked the pup a bit (but he was happy to sleep a lot too). I didn't read as many books as I wanted to, but that's okay.

Not only did I go back to work today, I also tried something I have been scared of for a long time: making aioli at home! I made about a cup and used it for broccoli salad. Yum! And, not scary at all. Very easy, actually.

So here it is, from The Art of Simple Food.

Garlic Aioli (from Alice Waters The Art of Simple Food, makes 1 cup)

What You Need
- 2-3 small garlic cloves
- Pinch of salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon water (more if needed)
- 1 cup olive oil

What You Do
1. Peel the garlic and pound it with a mortar and pestle with the salt.
2. Separate the egg yolk into a mixing bowl.
3. Add about half the garlic in with the egg and add 1/2 teaspoon water.
4. Mix the egg, water, and garlic with a whisk.
5. SLOWLY add some of the olive oil, WHISKING CONSTANTLY. (I did this wrong the first time. So just a little olive oil-drop by drop- at first, you can speed up later).
6. After adding a bit of the olive oil, the sauce will thicken and get lighter in color (becoming opaque).
7. Continue to add the olive oil as you whisk (you can speed up after you get the opaque, lighter sauce).
8. Taste and add more garlic and salt if you like.

NOTE: If you want it to be thinner, add a few drops of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment