I love the spring. Farmers markets are starting back up and/or extending their hours. The days are longer. The semester is nearing its end. And you can eat strawberries, rhubarb, and asparagus.
Here is a wonderful recipe from my roommate's family arsenal.
Rhubarb and Strawberry Cake with Pie Crumb Topping
What You Need
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1-2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- dash cinnamon
- small dash nutmeg
What You Do
1. Pre-heat oven to 350.
2. Mix together egg, yogurt, sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. Fold in rhubarb and strawberries.
4. Pour mixture into a greased and floured pan.
5. Mix together remaining flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, and butter.
6. Add dash of cinnamon and nutmeg.
7. Sprinkle topping over the cake.
8. Bake for 50 minutes.
Yum. Celebrate the spring.