Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Israeli Couscous

Since I am just getting to know my new neighborhood, I went to check out three nearby grocery stores yesterday. Mostly though, I was hunting for Israeli Couscous because I saw this fabulous recipe in Bon Appetit (can you tell I just got a new issue?). Sadly, neither organic market had any of the couscous I was looking for. But, I did find it at Giant. The magazine says that this is a side dish, but I thought it makes for a great main, so I added some additional couscous to the recipe.

Israeli Couscous with Asparagus, Peas, and Sugar Snaps (adapted from Bon Appetit)

What You Need
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 1/3 cups Israeli couscous (6 to 7 ounces) (I doubled this)
- 1 3/4 cups (or more) vegetable broth (I doubled this)
- 14 ounces asparagus spears, trimmed, cut diagonally into 3/4-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups) (I used the whole bunch and didn't measure)
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups) (I used a whole package and didn't measure)
- 1 cup shelled fresh green peas or frozen, thawed (I used frozen and went over one cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives (I used the green parts of local scallions)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

What You Do
1. Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, 1 garlic clove, and lemon peel in small bowl; set dressing aside.
2. Bring broth to a boil and then add couscous.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender, about 10 minutes, adding more broth by tablespoonfuls if too dry.
4. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large nonstick skillet over high heat.
5. Add asparagus, sugar snap peas, green peas, and remaining garlic clove (I added the scallions here!).
6. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; sauté until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes (mine too a little longer).
7. Transfer vegetables to large bowl.
8. Add couscous to bowl with vegetables.
9. Drizzle dressing over.
10. Add chives (if you are using them) and cheese; toss.
11. Season with salt and pepper.

I enjoyed eating this cold and room temp! I was very happy eating it for dinner with a cold cream soda! YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment