Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

As you have probably guessed, I love the springtime. If only the weather here in DC would cooperate. At the farmer's market last weekend, I picked up some of the first strawberrys of the season and two bunches of rhubarb. The result: a wonderful pie perfect when eaten with vanilla ice cream.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie (adapted from PieChef)

What You Need
- 2 9” pie crusts
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced (I didn't measure this out. I just used about double the rhubarb as I did strawberries)
- 4 cups rhubarb, sliced (again, I didn't measure this. I just used the container of strawberries plus two bunches of rhubarb.)
- 1 cup sugar (I was very generous here)
- 1/2 cup flour
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of brown sugar

What You Do
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Clean and slice fruit and combine in large bowl.
3. Mix sugar and flour in small bowl. Add cinnamon.
4. Add sugar and flour mixture to fruit and stir to mix. Let the fruit mixture sit for about 10 minutes so the juices release.
5. Pour the filling evenly into the crust.
6. Top with second crust and make a couple slits in the top.
7. Bake for 10 minutes at 425, then lower heat to 325 and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes. (I had to let it bake for a bit more time, until the crust looked nicely browned).

I forgot how delicious and easy this pie is. Please try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment